Everyone knows that Indian food is packed full of flavor and absolutely Delicious! but did you know it has a wealth of health benefits too? To kick off....
- Turmeric is commonly used as an antiseptic to treat cuts and burns and is credited with fighting Alzheimer's.
- Cumin helps cure asthma, improves hair and nails and boosts the immune system during the cold and flu season.
- Coriander leaves treat anxiety and insomnia and contribute enormously to improving bone density.
- Cardamom treats stomach aches and constipation and prevents other digestive problems.
- Black pepper alleviates hemorrhoids, is a natural antioxidant and, best of all, helps break down fat cells.
Hey....this excuse works for me!
AROMATIC BEEF & RED LENTIL CURRY
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 onions, chopped
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
1 heaped tablespoon curry powder
2 teaspoons each ground coriander, cumin and turmeric
4 star anise
500 go beef mince
1 large can (800 grams) crushed tomatoes
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
3 cups beef stock
2 cinnamon sticks
2 teaspoons each salt and sugar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cups shredded spinach leaves
Fresh coriander leaves to garnish
1: Heat oil in a large frying pan or pot and add onions, garlic and all the spices except the cinnamon and allow to sizzle briefly.
2: Add mince and toss till lightly browned then add remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and then cover and turn down heat.
3: Allow to simmer gently for 25 minutes and then remove lid and allow any excess liquid to cook away.
4: Remove cinnamon and star anise and serve with spiced rice.
COOK'S NOTES: I am quite sure that this recipe would work very well with Soya mince and this news will be welcomed by my many vegetarian students. Star anise is easily available at any spice shop while all other ingredients can be found on the supermarket shelves.